INTERIOR DESIGNPosted by: amazingkozi | Posted on: December 15, 2019
What is interior design?
Interior design is the art and science of understanding people’s behavior to create functional spaces within a building. Decoration is the furnishing or adorning of a space with decorative elements, sometimes complemented by advice and practical assistance.
Interior design is important due to the aesthetic value it posses in a given space. . The simple fact is that having a house that looks nicer is going to make you like it better and that makes design important. Interior design increases the value of a house/project.
Basic Interior Design Principles
- Balance. In design, balance creates a feeling of equilibrium. …
- Harmony. Harmony is created when all the elements act together to create a unified message. …
- Emphasis. A room where everything gets equal importance will seem either scattered or boring. …
- Proportion and Scale.
Interior Design Styles: 8 Popular Types
- Mid-Century Modern. The mid-1900s produced some of the most iconic pieces in modern design.
- Industrial. This is a look that hearkens back to the turn-of-the-century industrial era.
- Nautical. Warm, relaxing, and positive.
Common Features Of Scandinavian Interior Design
- No Wall To Wall Carpets. Carpet has never been a popular thing in Scandinavian style. …
- Light, Muted Colors. Because the winters are so long and dark, Scandinavian interiors are typically painted white to help keep spaces bright. …
- Wood. …
- Clean Lines. …
- Decluttered Spaces. …
- Simple Accents. …
- Simple Toys. …
- Maximize Natural Light.
Bohemian or Boho decorating is for those who want their homes full of life, culture, and interesting items for all the world to see. This aesthetic flies in the face of modern sensibilities and embraces the carefree, the relaxed, and the unusual.
- Urban Modern.
Modern interior design refers to the reflection of the modern art movement on the interiors of the home. There are several central characteristics and design themes seen throughout modern design, however, that could be described in part as the definition.
- Shabby Chic.
Shabby chic is a style of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their appearance of age and signs of wear and tear or where new items are distressed to achieve the appearance of an antique.
Professional interior designers will usually follow a set of informal “rules”, based on specific interior design principles and elements. These interior design elements include space, line, forms, light, colour, texture and pattern; and keeping them balanced is the key to creating an aesthetically pleasing interior.
What does an Interior Decorator do? Interior Decorators use elements like paint, lighting, and fabric to create living spaces that match their owner’s personality. Keeping in mind things like budget, function, and personal taste, you come up with a vision for the interiors of a client’s office or home.
You don’t need to be a mathematician to use the 60–30–10 rule in your décor, nor do you need a ruler or a calculator. The rule states that for the most balanced, appealing look, you should choose a three-color palette for decorating a room, and use it as follows: Decorate 60% of the room with the dominant color.
Steps to Becoming an Interior Designer
- Earn a degree in interior design.
- Pass the National Council for Interior Design qualification exam.
- Take some pro bono projects.
- Build a portfolio.
- LOOK FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES.