EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL IN THE BODY.Posted by: amazingkozi | Posted on: December 20, 2019
An alcoholic drink is a drink that contains ethanol, a type of alcohol produced by fermentation of grains, fruits, or other sources of sugar.
The consumption of alcohol plays an important social role in many cultures. Most countries have laws regulating the production, sale, and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Chronic alcohol abuse can have catastrophic health effects, impacting your entire body and causing a range of health problems:For example, it can cause liver damage — including cirrhosis — brain damage, heart failure, diabetes, cancer and infections .
- Slurred speech.
- Upset stomach.
- Breathing difficulties.
- Distorted vision and hearing.
- Brain:It has a profound effect on the complex structures of the brain. It blocks chemical signals between brain cells (called neurons), leading to the common immediate symptoms of intoxication, including impulsive behavior, slurred speech, poor memory, and slowed reflexes.
- Heart:The cardiovascular system is affected by alcohol. … In the long-term, drinking above the guidelines can lead to on-going increased heart rate, high blood pressure, weakened heart muscle and irregular heartbeat. All of which can increase the risk of alcohol-caused heart attack and stroke.
- Liver: Chronic alcohol abuse causes destruction of liver cells, which results in scarring of the liver (cirrhosis), alcoholic hepatitis and cellular mutation that may lead to liver cancer.
- Pancreas: It causes the pancreas to produce toxic substances that can lead to pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas, and swelling of the blood vessels in the pancreas that prevents proper digestion. Pancreatitis can be very painful. There are two types of pancreatisis: acute pancreatisis and chronic pancreatisis.
- Cancer: Drinking alcohol increases the risk of mouth cancer, pharyngeal (upper throat) cancer, oesophageal (food pipe) cancer, laryngeal (voice box) cancer, breast cancer, bowel cancer and liver cancer.
- Immune System:It affects the way health gut microbes interact with the immune system. It also disrupts the gut barrier, allowing more bacteria to pass into the blood. … Excessive drinking reduces the number and function of three important kinds of cells in your immune system–macrophages, T and C cells.
- Put it in writing.
- Set a drinking goal.
- Keep a diary of your drinking.
- Don’t keep alcohol in your house.
- Drink slowly.
- Choose alcohol-free days.
- Watch for peer pressure.
- Keep busy.
#health #medicine #information #education #alcoholism #drugs #blogging #wordpress