Today I decided to give it a little different to my family. Here where am living, too much spicy food is not so common: but, just as I was thinking of dinner and planning things as my little one was having a nap, I thought why not come up with a little change in the kitchen today!…and guess what… there chicken biryani came!
Biryani is a mixed rice dish with its origins among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. Also, in East Africa, it is one of the most common dish in Swahili community especially in the coast of Kenya.
It is made with different spices the major ones being turmeric powder, pepper, masala and garlic powder. Many may have their own way, to do it but as long as is tastes like biryani then all is good lol! (humour)
So, for those who would wish to give it a try one day, can try this simple recipe.
1. You may decide to have your chicken into bigger pieces or smaller cubes if you are using chicken fillet.
2. Put the spices(1/2 to 1 tablespoon of pepper or chilli powder, turmeric,ginger-garlic paste, and other contents(yoghurt(3 tablespoons) and lemon juice) so as to marinate for at least an hour. Yoghurt helps to tenderize the chicken hence cooking faster. Some people add 1/2 tablespoon of salt, but actually, it’s your choice. In my case, I didn’t use it as I try much to avoid sodium.
At this stage, you may put some coriander and/or mint leaves.
3. Making rice: Clean and soak rice for 30 min. Then boil it 5-1o min.don’t let it cook fully as you still gonna have it in the oven along with your chicken. Some put 1 tbs of vegetable oil, but again…its all your choice. Thereafter drain the water.
4. Spread your marinated chicken in an oven plate and your rice on top.
5. Cover with aluminium foil and place it in the oven to cook for 40 to 45min under 175 degrees.